Hello my friends! I’m EXCITED – first of all because this is my first chance to show off some of the Better Homes and Gardens products (a super cool opportunity I told you about here) but also because I finally did some fall decorating!

My mission this month is to show you how to use these pretty products to get your home holiday ready – and I’m focusing on the kitchen table. I’m SO thrilled to have a big beautiful table to sit at for Thanksgiving this year! I showed you the unfinished table we purchased a few weeks ago and asked for your advice on keeping it’s natural beauty. A few folks on Instagram recommended a liming wax – something I had never tried. I looked up examples of it and LOVED the look of it. So I tried it out…and hated it. :) Wah wahhhh.

The table is too light to begin with – it just basically white washed it and I quickly realized that was not the look I was going for. In photos I’ve seen of this wax it really shows off the beauty of the wood, but it made our table look really bland. I was so disappointed.

So I sanded down the section I worked on and just went with a wax – which was my gut reaction to do anyway:

wax on unfinished wood

You can see there how it really pulls the grain out and shows it off!

I just used a basic furniture wax – it’s easy to do but it takes some time. I tried two methods – a rag and then this wax brush:

waxing unfinished wood

The brush worked much better – it was just easier to get it deep into the wood and I could get plenty on there.

After applying it you’ll want to let it sit for a bit and then wipe/buff it down:

buffing wax on table

As you buff (this takes some muscle) you’ll see that shine come through – I used the light from the windows to see where I needed to buff some more. It came out SO well and at least for now I love the natural look of the table. What’s great is if I ever change my mind I can sand it down and start over. :)

Because the table is so pretty as is I wanted to go with a simpler, natural fall table setting as well. I picked up these pumpkins at Walmart and gave them a little makeover:

painting pumpkins painting pumpkins white

I’ve seen so many chalk paint pumpkins in blogland but man – it was taking FOREVER to paint them. So I went with my trusty spray paint. It never fails me. ;) I sprayed a couple coats of primer and then a very light coat of the Heirloom White color so they weren’t stark white. It warmed them up nicely.

I found this natural runner in the BHG line and knew right away it would be perfect:

jute table runner

I actually layered two on the table since it’s so long – a nice problem to have. :)

I took a picture of the packaging on a couple items since some of them aren’t online yet. This is what you can look for in the store:  better homes and gardens natural runner

The runner was the perfect backdrop to the more subdued table setting. I’m OBSESSED with the BHG hobnail plates (on the bottom):

natural fall place setting

I’ve looked at these EVERY year and admired them. They were just starting to stock them in my local store so I grabbed the beige color plates (these are called Arlington) and topped them with bowls I already had. These are really beautiful – I just love them and they are SO much more affordable than the high end versions out there.

I love how BHG incorporated owls and foxes into their fall line this year – the cream owl salt and pepper shakers had to come home with me:

owl salt and pepper shakers

This pumpkin cookie jar matches them perfectly – I used it as a centerpiece to hold my fall hydrangeas:

 pumpkin bowl

You can see the cute lid to the left. It’s labeled a cookie jar but I think it would pretty holding rolls or other foods on a Thanksgiving table too.

I sprinkled some pine cones along the runner as well – they smell amazing!:

owl salt and pepper shakers walmart

The bags came with leaves and little bitty pumpkins as well – this is the perfect fall filler:

scented pine cones

And it can easily stick around till Christmas! Bonus.

Because I can’t ever resist a cute placemat pillow – I picked up a couple of these and made quick pillows for the parson’s chairs:

placemat pillow fall

These placemats weren’t the kind you can open up and fill so I just sewed some basic muslin I had on the back and then filled them. They were less than $2 each – can you believe that? They’re not just a print either, it’s all woven. I couldn't believe the price.

I LOVE how it all came together! It makes the whole family room and kitchen feel so warm and cozy. I want to bake a turkey right now:

natural fall table

The plates and glasses will be put away till the big dinner but I’m keeping the rest out until then. It’s too pretty not to:

fall hydrangeas

There’s still a lot that will happen in this area – the board and batten will go up on that back wall after the new doors are installed (hopefully by the end of the month?): And eventually a big window seat will sit in the bay window – can’t WAIT!:

natural fall table setting

But for now I’ll focus on the pretty, finished parts of the room – like a big table ready for big meals!:

easy fall table setting ideas LOVE it! Anymore I don’t like my table settings to be too fancy – I like it to feel welcoming and warm and a spot where people want to sit and stay awhile. You don’t have to spend a ton of money or go crazy with the decor in order to do just that. (You can see my fall table from last year here.)

Keep a look out online and in Walmart stores for the fall and Christmas Better Homes and Gardens entertaining items! I was able to find everything I used in my local store. Will you be hosting Thanksgiving this year? The older I get the more I like the holiday – it’s such a fun, relaxing day for us.

 

better homes and gardens products at walmart

I received compensation from BHG at Walmart for my time and participation in the BHG Live Better Network. All experiences and opinions are my own. Follow BHG on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top