Hey everybody! Sorry for the late post today – it’s fall break for my kiddo and we slept in. It was glorious. Expect more of the same tomorrow.

So the other day I came up with a cute fall/Halloween craft and of course when I searched it realized I was like the eleventy billionth person to think of it, but I forged on. So this is not a new idea (are there new ideas anymore?) but I think it’s pretty darn cute.

I started out by grabbing a scrap piece of fabric, which is actually an IKEA curtain from a project gone wrong. So I use it for random stuff now and this is one of the random projects:

I did iron it first but you can’t tell. Score one for me.

I searched online for bunting or pennant template and this awesome one came up from Sweetly Scrapped Art:

Bunting pennant template

Most I found were a triangle shape – I wanted one like this with the area at the top you fold over. If it was a plain triangle shape you’d be doing some trimming after folding the top over your string. Make sense?

So I traced it on my fabric, trying to get as many out if it as I could:

Making a bunting

I didn’t even end up using half the fabric, score! More scraps for later!

So all along I planning on just doing straight lines with painters tape, but then I remembered I had the Frogtape shape tape (say that three times fast):

Scallop shape tape

Did you say it three times? I did. Can’t do it.

Anyway, I’ve been dying to try the scallop design so I thought this would be a great way to use it.

I didn’t cut out the shapes just yet – I just laid the tape down over one line of them:

Frogtape scallop tape

I thought this would save me some time, but I had to end up doing the same for the other direction so cut them out or don’t – it didn’t make much of a difference. One nice thing about leaving them and painting (without cutting out first) is that the line was similar across each “corn” – the orange, yellow and white were the same sizes.

And obviously…I used orange, yellow and white:

craft paint

The paint was the only cost in the project for me – so about $4?

I keep plastic bowls in the craft table for paint but ran out, so I improvised with the Frogtape lid:

 

Yeah, it worked perfectly. ;)

So I don’t have pics of the process because a.) I only have two hands and it was hard to take a pic and b.) because it was dark and the photos would have sucked butt. But you get the idea. I taped off the orange section first, let the paint dry (I used a hair dryer to speed it up), then taped off the yellow and white and did those.

I used the end of a foam roller to “pounce” the paint onto the fabric. (I rinsed it between colors.) This way it doesn’t go under the tape. I was pretty impressed that I didn’t get any bleeding, even on fabric.

When they were dry I used my craft glue to glue the top part of the pennants over onto some twine:

craft glue

And I gotta say, I think it turned out pretty darn cute!:

Candy corn bunting

The orange paint wasn’t super opaque – I could have done a few more coats but didn’t want this project to take forever. So that color isn’t very consistent throughout but when I was done I quite liked the look. The yellow and white covered much better.

Originally I planned to do this project on a paper like poster board, but I was afraid the paint would make it wrinkle. The fabric is nice and stiff once the paint dries so it worked great!

I think it is a super cute addition to the fall(ish) mantel:

candy corn bunting

I want to leave them up past Halloween they’re so cute. Candy corns are fall too, not just Halloween right? Whatever, I’m leaving them. I’ve been horrible about getting the Halloween stuff out this year! The outside of the house has been decked out for a week or so, but I haven’t wanted to bring in all the Halloween stuff just yet. This weekend we’ll take care of that.

You can see my other candy corn projects from a couple years back here:

candy corn crafts candy corn crafts

That wreath has survived two years, can you believe it??

Do you love candy corns? I don’t like to eat them but I love to decorate with them! Makes perfect sense.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top